Folks, we want you to learn that not all job ads like those on Craigslist are real. This means you can waste your time applying for them. One such firm that does this is IDA Structural Engineers of Oakland, CA, headed by Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse & UC Berkeley alumnus Jon Kiland.
One person we know applied for one of these jobs. This person interviewed with Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse personally. After the interview, this person never heard from the firm again. And then IDA Structural Engineers has the audacity to repost their help wanted ad again and again. Folks, you should ignore them completely. Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse has cried wolf so many times people should not believe him. If this is how he treats potential employees, just imagine how IDA Structural Engineers treats their clients. Evern worse yet, imagine how Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse and his staff design buildings for earthquakes. We suspect the plans will have major issues.
People ask why does IDA Structural Engineers post fake jobs? Let us tell you what we think are the potential reasons IDA Structural Engineers does this.
– Fake job postings exist so that employers can gauge the current talent pool. What better way to assess how in-demand a position is than to post an advertisement to fill that same position? The number of applications can be a valuable pointer on what to pay a person for a given job. It also is an indicator of how easy that person is to potentially replace. Guess IDA Structural Engineers thinks all their employees are replaceable. You can thank Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse for that.
– Fake job postings exist so that companies can get a back-up for your position and keep resumes on file. Since we already know that every job is temporary, an enterprising employer might be stockpiling talent in case you make a sudden exit, or, are asked to make an exit. Translation: Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse may have high turnover at his firm.
– Fake job postings exist to make it easier for nepotism and other unfair hiring practices to occur. When the boss wants his nephew hired, it’s not always cut and dry. In many organizations, the company needs to “look outside” for suitable candidates. Searching externally for a candidate can also satisfy any potential Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) mandates. This is a quick and dirty way to appear fair. Is this what Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse is doing? We don’t now but we suspect that may be the case.
– Fake job postings exist so that people can add you to a list. It’s unscrupulous. Some job postings exist to merely target consumers for specific products and services. Lame.
– Fake job postings exist so that criminals can thrive. This is the lowest of the low, actual thieves who are looking to cull information about you so they can swipe your identity or engage in deviant behavior that involves your good name. This is one reason why it’s not a bad idea to hold back on your personal information on an initial cover letter and resume.
– Fake job postings exist so that people can copy you. Resume plagiarism is prevalent. You need only search “resume template” or a variation to see the thousands of samples floating around on the Web. Some shady cats have been known to take to sites like Craigslist and post a phony job within their field. This gives them access to dozens of resume that they can copy at will and make their own. We wonder whether IDA Structural Engineers is using this technique to branch into other types of work. What better way to get work than to steal someone’s resume, claim that person works for IDA Structural Engineers, and then try to get work for the firm. You can thank Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse for potentially earning a place in career hell.
We wonder whether the clients and end users of IDA Structural Engineers knows what is going on. If we were customers, we can simply not do business with any of their clients. This includes the following:
Acura of Oakland; Plum Restaurant of Oakland; Walnut Creek Volkswagen; Whole Food Market in South San Jose; Lincoln Showroom of Newport Beach, CA; Novartis; Restoration Hardware; Robert Mondavi Winery; Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation
If Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse wants to discuss this with the person they turned down, this person would be more than happy to discuss this. In the meantime, structural engineers should not be wasting time working at IDA Structural Engineers and its President Cal Poly Dumb Guy Stephen DeJesse.